Check out the other veggies that can be spiralized at What Can I Spiralize!
Plantain is definitely among the more challenging fruits and veggies to spiralize. A lot of specifics must be met to successfully make spiralized plantain. Is it straight? Is it slightly underripe? Is it wide enough? Plantain does not cut into clearly defined noodles easily, and will easily become a big pile of mush.
What You Can Expect
- Short noodles
- Mushy noodles (especially if plantain is ripe)
- Best results with slightly under-ripe plantain
- Choose a plantain with a wide diameter if possible (helps create longer noodles)
- Buy the straightest plantain possible with widest diameter
- Cut ends/tips off to create flat surface
- Recommended blade: 3mm
- Do not eat raw
- Sautee for 5-6 minutes on medium heat
- Roast at 450 for 7-10 minutes
- Best application: rice dishes, sides.
- 1 plantain = approximately 1/2c spiralized plantain
- Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days
- Can be frozen